Become part of our team and work alongside the most experienced picker operators in the province. Encore Trucking is currently looking to fill SWAMPER/RIGGER positions.
As a Swamper/Rigger’s you are expected to be responsible for many of the shop hand tasks but expands into the crane and field operations. Riggers will learn to tie down loads, rigging lifts, crane setup and tear down and signalling crane movements. Swampers will be expected to complete a daily truck log and job related paperwork. They will also learn to operate small pickers and mini-cranes. Mentoring by senior operators and working with all staff is a must.
- Assist with operators tasks on jobs sites
- Assist crane operator/driver with securing loads. The swamper will learn to identify the appropriate tie downs for each load
- Setup and tear down of cranes. Placing outrigger pads, swinging jibs and hooking up the rigging for the lift. The rigger is the eyes on the ground for the operator and must be able to identify additional hazards that arise throughout the lift and notify the operator if any changes need to be made to the lift plan
- Give appropriate hand signals to lift and move the load. Riggers must learn and understand the standard hand signals for crane movement and know which is appropriate
- Swamper/Riggers will begin to operate mini-cranes and the small 6t pickers. Working side by side with senior riggers they will learn proper setup of cranes, reading load charts, monthly and daily inspections, select rigging for lifts, and driving the trucks to site
- Operating the skids steer and using the attachments. Training will be provide on proper operation, fueling and lifting with the skid steer. Swampers will use it to load/unload trailers, spreader bars, bunks and to tidy up the yard
- Complete documentation and tasks for the office
- Complete all required paperwork for shop/field work. (BOL, Drivers logs, Pre/post trips, & hazard assessments
- Continue to perform shop hand duties when required. (Cleaning & truck/trailer maintenance)
- Assist with preparing cranes for yearly certification. (Cleaning grease off the boom and outriggers)
- Ensure quality work is being completed in which safety is a key component
- Maintain safety as your first priority in all jobs
- Manage your time to ensure you are within legal operating hours on a daily and weekly basis. Let dispatch know if you are nearing your maximum hours
- Identify driving hazards and the appropriate actions to take. Impaired road and weather conditions may require tire chains or locking the differentials. Drivers are responsible for determining what is necessary to safely travel to a site
- Practice safe driving speeds and braking distances when on the road. There are many hazards on the road (wildlife, constructions, and accidents) and it is your responsibility to ensure you are alert while driving
- Participate in all tailgate meetings and complete the appropriate documentation
Swampers/Riggers work mainly outdoors, often in noisy, dusty conditions. They work in locations throughout Alberta in all types of weather. A 40 hour, five day work week is normal but overtime may be required to meet construction deadlines. Occupational hazards include injuries resulting from power line contact, crane overload, falls, weather conditions or manual lifting.
Crane and hoisting equipment operators may be required to lift items that weigh over 25 kilograms.
All Encore employees are responsible for understanding and complying with Encore and outside authority regulations, procedures and policies. Employees must apply this to all aspects and tasks related to their position and take part in the further development of the safety program. Workers are responsible for identifying hazards and having the necessary controls in place to prevent incidents and near misses.
Hazard assessments must be completed with the appropriate paperwork, (shop forms, BOL, and site, shop and office inspections), discussed with all involved parties and submitted to the safety department.
Employees MUST report all near misses and incidents immediately to an Encore supervisor or Encore contact as per the Alberta Worker’s Compensation Act and the federal and Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act. All paperwork including an incident report and investigation form must be filled out with employee information, a detailed description of the incident with root causes and corrective actions taken.
A Swamper/Rigger operates company vehicles. This is a safety sensitive position.
- Good physical fitness level
- Able to repeatedly lift 50lbs
- Co-ordination and manual dexterity
- The ability to work at heights
- Good vision
- The ability to work as part of a team and communicate with ground crews, usually using hand signals and voice communication
- Ability to consistently pass a drug test
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills
- Capability to plan and organize tasks
- Ability to meet deadlines with high performance
They should enjoy working independently when necessary, being part of a team and having variety in their work.
- Class 5 licence (Airbrake endorsement is an asset)
- A clean 5 year Drivers Abstract
- Reliable transportation
- Previous experience as a rigger/swamper is an asset
- 3-6 months experience shop hand
- Mini-crane and 6t picker training is an asset (Encore training available)
- Skid steer training is an asset (Encore training available)
- Completion of paperwork (driver logs, pre/post trip, BOL)
- Grade 12 diploma
- Able to pass a drug and alcohol test various times during employment (customer and company policy)
Compensation is based upon experience. Encore offers competitive wages and great benefits including RRSP.
Apply via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, no phone calls please. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in Encore Trucking & Transport Ltd.
Job Type: Full-time, October 2017 posting